Executive Board Meeting Minutes
- John Noack (President)
- Phil Peterson (1st VP)
- T.J Misiolek (2nd VP)
- Dennis Tennant (Secretary)
- Mike Oberholtzer (Treasurer)
- David Lockhart (DLC)
- Jim Pearsall (Historian/Publication Director)
- David Knights (Recruitment and Retention Secretary)
- Marie Van Schoonhoven (Office Manager) *
* = Non-voting staff or Guest
- Marie’s contract has been renewed for another year.
- A motion was made and passed to spend $100 to sponsor a trophy pack in the upcoming Italian Nationals. (the Italy Nationals have since been canceled for 2020)
- We have formed a technology review team to look over options for updating our technology and website. Treasurer Mike Oberholtzer is chairing the effort with DLC David Lockhart, Secretary Dennis Tennant, Webmaster Eric Aitala and Office Manager Marie Van Schoonhoven as team members.
- Pres. Noack initiated a discussion about creating a new adjunct position to better support our various outreach programs with active and retired military members. The majority of the board is in favor but we need to finesse some of the details before it’s “official.”
John Noack, President
- Nothing to Report.
Phil Peterson, 1st VP
- Due to the cancellation of this year’s Shizouka Model show in Japan, Phil will not be attending or spending any of the money the board had allotted for this trip.
T.J. Misiolek, 2nd Vice President
Am reworking some of the wording in the convention bid parameters dealing with requirement for producing an after convention report and the penalty for not doing so. We need this document, which provides detail about what we spent and where we spent it, for our year end taxes. Late filing of this by the host chapter puts the society under considerable tax risk. Hoping to have this done by the next meeting.
Mike Oberholtzer, Treasurer
Year to date our net revenue is down about $46,000 from the same time last year. Much of this is timing related. Convention income and expenses are never consistent year to year, and Journal printing invoice timing can also vary. The only revenue number that has me curious right now is membership. Adult membership is down about $13,500 over this time last year.
One thing to keep in mind is that 2019 was a very good year overall. Despite our net revenues being negative so far this year, our cash position is $43,000 higher than at the end of March 2019. In April we will pay out the host chapters for the 2019 convention about $36,000. That will make our year to date net revenues look low, but if you consider that the 2019 convention put $36,000 in our coffers as well, we are in good shape.
Of course the big unknown is the impact of the COVID19 pandemic on the 2020 convention. It is still much too early to know what that impact will be.
Dennis Tennant, Secretary
- I have gathered the required conflict of interest forms from everyone who needed to sign one and added them to our tax documents. Thanks to everyone for their help getting this done before our tax deadline.
- I was informed by a representative of the 2020 Italy Nationals that they have canceled this year’s event due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Obviously, we won’t be sponsoring the previously approved trophy packages this year.
- I have updated the Special Interest Group page online and in the Journal to reflect current active SIGS.
David Lockhart, DLC
Of the 225 active chapters:
- 186 have completed their charter
- 25 need to submit either their fact sheet or payment
- 18 have not submitted anything
Due to the pandemic, all the model shows scheduled for March have been canceled or postponed. I am working with groups planning April shows to help them adjust as needed.
Jim Pearsal, Historian/Publication Dir.
Office Manager Marie and I got a new member from someone who wanted a couple of archived Quarterly articles. When told that we only provide that service for members, he signed up!!
David Knights, Recruitment & Retention Secretary
Promotional flyers for the IPMS/USA are now in Atlantis Model Kits. With the cancellation of many spring shows, the opportunities for in-person recruiting by local chapters have been impacted. The Disabled Veterans Membership program continues to recruit more members, but still having trouble spreading the word widely.
Marie Van Schoonhoven, National Office Manager
- New Memberships: January: 40, February: 34
- The next journal in production is March/April V32J2. I will be sending the membership mailing list to the printer by the morning of April 6.
- We have been advised by our printer that some countries are not allowing mail to enter their borders. We will need to determine what to do with copies of the Journal sent to these countries.
- I have been fielding many questions on whether or not the IPMS/USA Nationals are happening. I advise that we are closely monitoring the situation.
- And finally, I have processed several new members under out new Veteran membership benefit. A few even paid for a year beyond their complimentary 1yr. membership!
Submitted by Dennis Tennant, Secretary
Last Updated: Sunday August 16 2020